

Canada
MICHIGAN’S ONLINE SPORTS BETTING VOLUME SLUMPS TO LOWEST LEVEL SINCE LAUNCH
Michigan’s online sportsbooks fell to their lowest volume ever for a full month, dropping to less than $200 million for the first time since online sports betting launched in January. July’s wagering was still enough for sportsbooks to nearly reach $2 billion in lifetime online handle, while casino revenue ticked up and surpassed $500 million lifetime, according to PlayMichigan, which analyzes and researches the state’s regulated online gaming and sports betting market.
“Pursuits other than gaming are priorities for many in July, whether that is a trip to the lake or a backyard barbecue,” said Matt Schoch, analyst for PlayMichigan.com. “The good news for sportsbooks is that with the July dip now out of the way, operators can look forward to Michiganders returning from their summer vacations and for the excitement for the football season to build.”
Michigan’s online sportsbooks generated $188.0 million in bets in July, down 20% from $235.1 million in June, according to official data released Monday by the Michigan Gaming Control Board. Combined with $18.3 million in retail wagering in July, which was announced last week, Michigan’s online and retail sportsbooks accounted for $206.3 million in wagering. That total is down 20.5% from $259.4 million in bets in June.
That is the lowest volume recorded in a month since sportsbooks collected $150.8 million in January, when online betting first launched on Jan. 22. Still, Michigan’s online and retail sportsbooks have now accepted $1.99 billion in wagers since retail sportsbooks launched in March 2020.
Gross gaming revenue from online betting fell 21.6% to $19.6 million from $24.9 million in June, pushing the state’s combined win to $20.8 million for the month. After promotional credits, $12.4 million in taxable revenue remained from online bets, down from $16.8 million in June. July’s online revenue produced $1.1 million in state and local taxes.
Volume has remained low since April, part of an expected seasonal slowdown. But sportsbooks have countered the loss in wagering with a gain in hold percentage, which is the money the house keeps after paying out winning bets. The hold in July for online and retail sportsbooks was 10.1%, joining June as the only two full months with a percentage above 10% since online betting launched in Michigan in January.
“Bettors interact with summer sports like golf and even the Olympics differently by placing more futures and novelty bets, which win less frequently than a conventional single-game bet on football,” said Eric Ramsey, data analyst for the PlayUSA.com Network, which includes PlayMichigan.com. “For this reason, sportsbooks can bridge the slower betting months.”
The race for the online market lead drew closer in July. FanDuel led all online operators in July with $54.5 million in wagers, down from $77.3 million in June. FanDuel also topped Michigan operators with $7.8 million in gross sports betting revenue, down from $10.3 million in June.
DraftKings was second in the state with $53.4 million in wagers, down from $56.5 million in June. Gross gaming revenue fell to $3.1 million from $5.0 million in June. BetMGM was third with $41.0 million in wagers, down from $52.1 million in June. That produced $5.0 million in gross receipts, down from $6.1 million in June.
The online market leaders were followed by:
- Barstool ($13.6 million handle, down from $16.7 million in July; $1.4 million gross revenue, down from $1.8 million)
- PointsBet ($7.8 million handle, down from $10.2 million; $849,524 GGR, down from $911,170)
- William Hill/Caesars ($7.5 million handle, down from $7.9 million; $252,708 GGR, down from $598,641)
- Fox Bet ($2.7 million handle, down from $3.7 million; $252,873 GGR, down from $332,639)
- BetRivers ($2.6 million handle, up from $2.4 million; $224,089 GGR, up from $107,480)
- WynnBet ($2.3 million handle, down from $5.5 million; $357,718 GGR, up from -$383,777)
- TwinSpires ($1.0 million handle, down from $1.3 million; $138,911 GGR, down from $143,197)
- Golden Nugget ($623,977 handle, down from $914,393; $98,615 GGR, up from $83,855)
- FireKeepers ($367,354 handle, up from $656; $44,048 GGR, up from $299)
- Four Winds ($318,987 handle, down from $607,100; $35,979 GGR, up from -$18,782)
“The Olympics were never going to drive enough volume for operators to overcome a typically slow summer month, especially with the time-zone difference between Michigan and Tokyo,” Schoch said. “But the Olympics did offer an opportunity for sportsbooks to reach a new segment of customers that they wouldn’t have otherwise. That could pay dividends down the road.”
Online casinos and poker
Michigan’s online casinos and poker rooms combined to produce $92.3 million in gross gaming revenue, up 3.5% from $89.2 million in June. Casinos took in $3.0 million per day in wagers over the 31 days of July, a rate consistent with the $3.0 million per day in June. That revenue was enough to yield $17.1 million in state taxes and $6.4 million in local taxes.
Live dealer online casino games launched July 22 in Michigan, likely driving additional wagering later in the month. Since launching in January, online casinos and poker rooms have generated $575.4 million in revenue and $141.8 million in state and local taxes.
“Many of the same forces that slow sports betting in the summer, including summer vacations, also affect online casinos,” Ramsey said. “Michigan is still a young market that hasn’t yet reached maturity. The addition of live dealer games will make a difference going forward. And as the summer turns to fall, we should once again see the revenue at online casinos grow.”
Other highlights from July:
- BetMGM/MGM Grand Detroit continued to dominate the online casino and poker market with $33.8 million in gross gaming revenue, which yielded $8.9 million in state and local taxes.
- DraftKings/Bay Mills was second in the state with $15.2 million in gross receipts, producing $3.8 million in state and local taxes. FanDuel/Motor City was third with $14.4 million in gross receipts and $3.8 million in state and local taxes.
For more information and analysis on regulated sports betting in Michigan, visit PlayMichigan.com/news
BetVictor
BetVictor Canada launches Tracy McGrady Safer Gambling campaign

BetVictor Canada has launched its new out-of-home advertising campaign across the streets of Toronto to promote NBA legend Tracy McGrady as its Safer Gambling Ambassador.
Two mobile digital trucks strategically targeting high-traffic areas near Scotiabank Arena, Rogers Centre, and major sporting events will provide prime audience exposure for the campaign, scheduled around Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, and Toronto Blue Jays home games.
To further enhance the campaign’s reach, BetVictor Canada has partnered with Clear Media Group to leverage digital taxi tops across Toronto, providing city-wide exposure with 100 taxis displaying key brand messaging. These digital taxi tops will run during peak evening hours (5:00pm – 9:00pm) on select dates until April 5th, 2025.
The campaign coincides with Problem Gambling Awareness Month, a nationwide grassroots campaign held each March that seeks to increase public awareness of problem gambling and promote prevention, treatment, and recovery services.
BetVictor Canada offers an array of tools and services to help its Canadian customers bet and play safely and responsibly, across a host of sports betting markets and online casino games.
Mark Harper, Head of Emerging Markets at BV Group, said: “BetVictor is delighted to be participating in the National Council of Problem Gambling campaign in March, to help increase public awareness of problem gambling and the need to promote prevention, treatment and recovery services.
“In using our Safer Gambling Ambassador, Tracy McGrady, to raise awareness about BetVictor’s safer gambling tools such as loss limits, time alerts and product restrictions we are dedicated to ensuring all players have a safe gambling experience. #PGAM2025.”
The post BetVictor Canada launches Tracy McGrady Safer Gambling campaign appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.
AGCO
AGCO issues $110,000 in penalties to BetMGM Canada for offering cash to induce new gambling customers
The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) has served BetMGM Canada Inc. with an Order of Monetary Penalty (OMP) of $110,000 for violations of the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming.
In two separate incidents in 2024, BetMGM engaged marketing companies who offered cash to members of the public in return for opening new BetMGM accounts. The marketing activities occurred in public forums, such as a major national trade conference. Under AGCO’s Standards, operators are responsible for the conduct of their third-party suppliers who are contracted to support the operator’s Ontario gaming business, and must require their third-parties to meet Ontario laws, regulations and standards (Standard 1.19).
Ontario is one of the first jurisdictions in the world to establish and enforce rules that strictly limit high-risk inducement advertising and marketing in the online gambling industry. Registered iGaming operators are prohibited from offering gambling inducements, bonuses and credits as part of their broad public advertising and marketing activities (Standard 2.05). These Standards exist to protect Ontarians from predatory advertising and promotional marketing practices in order to limit the risk of gambling-related harm.
A registered operator served with an OMP by the AGCO has the right to appeal the Registrar’s decision to the Licence Appeal Tribunal (LAT), which is an adjudicative tribunal independent of the AGCO and part of Tribunals Ontario.
QUOTE
“Responsible gambling safeguards and the protection of Ontarians on registered gaming sites is among our key priorities. The AGCO monitors the activities of all registered operators and their third-party suppliers to ensure they are meeting our high standards and we continue to take strong action to ensure they operate within the public interest.”
Dr. Karin Schnarr, Chief Executive Officer and Registrar – AGCO
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
BetMGM Canada Inc. failed to comply with the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming. Specifically, the licensee failed to comply with the following provisions of the Standards:
- 1.19 Operators are responsible for the actions of third parties with whom they contract for the provision of any aspect of the Operator’s business related to gaming in Ontario and must require the third party to conduct themselves in so far as they carry out activities on behalf of the operator as if they were bound by the same laws, regulations, and standards.
- 2.05 Advertising and marketing materials that communicate gambling inducements, bonuses and credits are prohibited, except on an operator’s gaming site and through direct advertising and marketing, after receiving active player consent.
Contrary to the Standards, BetMGM Canada Inc. and/or their affiliates allegedly engaged in the following activities:
a) | On or about January 13 and 14, 2024, BetMGM representatives were alleged to have attended the National Franchise Show and were offering $100 in cash to new players for opening a new account and depositing $15. |
b) | On or about March 11, 2024, BetMGM acknowledged that its marketing affiliate “Above the Street” had engaged in prohibited inducement marketing. The conduct resulted in 377 player sign-ups and $127,180.00 in commissions to “Above the Street”. |
c) | On or about April 13, 2024, another BetMGM marketing affiliate “Maple Leaf Marketing” engaged in prohibited inducements and marketing to induce on-site activations and acquire new players. The conduct resulted in 94 player sign-ups and about $34,000.00 in commissions paid to “Maple Leaf Marketing”. |
The post AGCO issues $110,000 in penalties to BetMGM Canada for offering cash to induce new gambling customers appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.
BCLC
BCLC Launches “What’s played here stays here” Campaign

BCLC’s new “What’s played here stays here” campaign is issuing an important reminder to British Columbians who choose to gamble – specifically that all net profit its operations generate stays in B.C. to help fund critical services like education, health care and community programs.
The campaign also reinforces that all other gambling websites operating in B.C. are illegal and take away funds from critical community programs and services.
“Across B.C. and Canada, we’ve seen incredible groundswell around the importance of buying and supporting local, and that’s no different for British Columbians who choose gambling for their entertainment. We want our B.C. players to know they can find a world-class gambling experience in their own backyard, whether it’s at one of our 33 casinos, 3,400 lottery retailers, or online at PlayNow.com, and that the proceeds from their play with BCLC make a positive impact at home in their community,” Pat Davis, President and CEO of BCLC, said.
Along with illegal online gambling websites, BCLC also competes with Washington State and Las Vegas casinos, all of which aggressively market to B.C. residents.
“BCLC continues to raise awareness that these gambling options do not support B.C.’s economy and take away funds from vital provincial and community-based programs and services. In a time when British Columbians are standing united, we want to reinforce that playing together with BCLC helps make B.C. even better,” Pat Davis added.
The post BCLC Launches “What’s played here stays here” Campaign appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.
-
gaming3 years ago
ODIN by 4Players: Immersive, state-of-the-art in-game audio launches into the next generation of gaming
-
EEG iGaming Directory8 years ago
iSoftBet continues to grow with new release Forest Mania
-
News7 years ago
Softbroke collaborates with Asia Live Tech for the expansion of the service line in the igaming market
-
News6 years ago
Super Bowl LIII: NFL Fans Can Bet on the #1 Sportsbook Review Site Betting-Super-Bowl.com, Providing Free Unbiased and Trusted News, Picks and Predictions
-
iGaming Industry7 years ago
Rick Meitzler appointed to the Indian Gaming Magazine Advisory Board for 2018
-
News6 years ago
REVEALED: Top eSports players set to earn $3.2 million in 2019
-
iGaming Industry7 years ago
French Senator raises Loot Boxes to France’s Gambling Regulator
-
News7 years ago
Exclusive Interview with Miklos Handa (Founder of the email marketing solutions, “MailMike.net”), speaker at Vienna International Gaming Expo 2018