Connect with us
Prague Gaming & TECH Summit 2025 (25-26 March)

Canada

PlayNJ.com: Sports betting slows, online casinos thrive in July

Published

on

 

The NBA Finals and the Olympics could not help New Jersey’s sportsbooks to counter a national trend that has typically made July the slowest month of sports betting. But with relatively strong sports-betting revenue, another monthly record for online gambling, and strong results from Atlantic City’s retail casinos, New Jersey’s gaming outlets set a fresh record for total gaming revenue in a month with $450.6 million in July, according to PlayNJ, which tracks the state’s regulated online gaming and sports betting market.

“Atlantic City benefits from a boost in summer tourism, but July is a time when summer travel and busy schedules put online sports betting in the backseat, particularly for locals,” said David Danzis, lead analyst for PlayNJ.com. “In the end, online casino gaming, retail casinos, and online and retail sports betting work as a three-legged stool, and together they are helping the New Jersey gaming industry outperform most every market in the U.S.”

Online and retail sportsbooks accepted $578.7 million in bets in July, down 24.5% from $766.9 million in June, according to official data released Monday. July 2021 was up 83.7% from $315.1 million in July 2020, a month with the relaunch of baseball and the beginning of the NBA bubble.

July’s wagering was far less than February’s $743 million handle, previously the low point of the year. That echoes 2019, when July’s $251.4 million handle was the lowest monthly tally of that year.

At 7.8%, the hold percentage remained high in July for New Jersey’s sportsbooks, yielding $55.0 million in gross gaming revenue. That was down 22.9% from $71.3 million in June and up 86.0% from $29.6 million in July 2021. In the end, sports betting produced $8.3 million in state and local taxes in July.

Baseball was the top sport in July with $195.4 million in wagering over the course of the month, up from $169.3 million in June. With the NBA Finals in July, basketball was second with $74.8 million, down from $190.9 million in June. Sports listed as “other,” which would include the Olympics, fell to $180.4 million from $234.8 million in June.

“The Olympics didn’t cause a spike in volume, which was held down even more by the significant difference in time zones,” said Eric Ramsey, analyst for the PlayUSA.com Network, which includes PlayNJ.com. “The NBA Finals helped the state’s sportsbooks avoid a steeper decline, and the Olympics did offer sportsbooks a chance to reach new customers, which can be valuable down the road.

Online operators generated $529.4 million in wagers in July, or 91.5% of July’s statewide handle. FanDuel Sportsbook/PointsBet once again topped online operators with $29.5 million in gross revenue, down from $38.1 million in May.

FanDuel was followed in revenue by:

  • Resorts Digital/DraftKings/Fox Bet ($10.6 million, down from $13.0 million in June)
  • BetMGM/Borgata ($5.9 million, up from $5.6 million)
  • Monmouth/William Hill/SugarHouse/TheScore ($2.0 million, even with June)
  • Ocean Casino/William Hill/Tipico ($1.5 million, down from $2.3 million)
  • Hard Rock/Bet365/Unibet ($925,775, up from $642,297)
  • Caesars Sportsbook/888sport/WynnBet ($193,331, down from $243,981)
  • Golden Nugget/BetAmerica ($79,223, down from $80,615)
  • Tropicana/William Hill ($36,490, up from $92,388)

Retail sportsbooks continued in their recovery, tallying $49.3 million in wagers in July, down from $83.9 million in June. Meadowlands/FanDuel topped all retail sportsbooks in July with $2.2 million in revenue.

“Casual sports bettors engage with sportsbooks less frequently in the heart of the summer,” Danzis said. “But the good news for sportsbooks is that sports betting will soon start to gain momentum as casual bettors return home from summer vacations and begin to turn their focus to football.”

Online casinos and poker

Online casinos and poker rooms continue to side-step any summer slowdown, generating a record $118.7 million in gross gaming revenue in July. That is up 35.7% from $87.5 million in July 2020 and up 10.9% from $107.1 million in May. July shattered the previous revenue high of $113.7 million set in March.

Online casino games alone generated $115.6 million in July, pushing lifetime revenue to $3.0 billion since online gambling launched in November 2013. And growth has been consistent from the beginning. Through seven months of 2021, online casino games and poker have generated $752.9 million in revenue, up 47.6% from $510.2 million through the same period in 2020.

“The bounce back in Atlantic City hasn’t slowed online casinos a bit,” Ramsey said. “Any worry that the return of casino visitation would come at the expense of online revenue should be alleviated now.”

Other highlights from July’s report:

  • Borgata/BetMGM led the state with $36.5 million in casino and poker revenue, a record for any licensee over a single month. That topped rival Golden Nugget’s $33.5 million in revenue. Resorts Digital was third with $23.3 million in revenue.
  • The revenue from online casinos and poker rooms injected $20.8 million into state and local coffers.
  • Online casinos and poker generated $3.8 million in revenue per day over the 31 days in July, up from $3.6 million per day over the 30 days of June.
  • Online poker generated $3.1 million in revenue, down 36.2% from $4.8 million in July 2020.

For more information and analysis on regulated sports betting and online gaming, visit PlayNJ.com/news.

About the PlayUSA.com Network:
The PlayUSA.com Network is a leading source for news, analysis, and research related to the market for regulated online gaming in the United States. With a presence in over a dozen states, PlayUSA.com and its state-focused branches produce original daily reporting, publish in-depth research, and offer player advocacy tools related to the advancement of safe, licensed, and legal online gaming options for consumers. Based in Las Vegas, the PlayUSA Network is independently owned and operated, with no affiliations to any casino — commercial, tribal, online, or otherwise.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

BetVictor

BetVictor Canada launches Tracy McGrady Safer Gambling campaign

Published

on

betvictor-canada-launches-tracy-mcgrady-safer-gambling-campaign

 

BetVictor Canada has launched its new out-of-home advertising campaign across the streets of Toronto to promote NBA legend Tracy McGrady as its Safer Gambling Ambassador.

Two mobile digital trucks strategically targeting high-traffic areas near Scotiabank Arena, Rogers Centre, and major sporting events will provide prime audience exposure for the campaign, scheduled around Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, and Toronto Blue Jays home games.

To further enhance the campaign’s reach, BetVictor Canada has partnered with Clear Media Group to leverage digital taxi tops across Toronto, providing city-wide exposure with 100 taxis displaying key brand messaging. These digital taxi tops will run during peak evening hours (5:00pm – 9:00pm) on select dates until April 5th, 2025.

The campaign coincides with Problem Gambling Awareness Month, a nationwide grassroots campaign held each March that seeks to increase public awareness of problem gambling and promote prevention, treatment, and recovery services.

BetVictor Canada offers an array of tools and services to help its Canadian customers bet and play safely and responsibly, across a host of sports betting markets and online casino games.

Mark Harper, Head of Emerging Markets at BV Group, said: BetVictor is delighted to be participating in the National Council of Problem Gambling campaign in March, to help increase public awareness of problem gambling and the need to promote prevention, treatment and recovery services.

“In using our Safer Gambling Ambassador, Tracy McGrady, to raise awareness about BetVictor’s safer gambling tools such as loss limits, time alerts and product restrictions we are dedicated to ensuring all players have a safe gambling experience. #PGAM2025.”

The post BetVictor Canada launches Tracy McGrady Safer Gambling campaign appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.

Continue Reading

AGCO

AGCO issues $110,000 in penalties to BetMGM Canada for offering cash to induce new gambling customers

Published

on

agco-issues-$110,000-in-penalties-to-betmgm-canada-for-offering-cash-to-induce-new-gambling-customers

 

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) has served BetMGM Canada Inc. with an Order of Monetary Penalty (OMP) of $110,000 for violations of the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming.

In two separate incidents in 2024, BetMGM engaged marketing companies who offered cash to members of the public in return for opening new BetMGM accounts. The marketing activities occurred in public forums, such as a major national trade conference. Under AGCO’s Standards, operators are responsible for the conduct of their third-party suppliers who are contracted to support the operator’s Ontario gaming business, and must require their third-parties to meet Ontario laws, regulations and standards (Standard 1.19).

Ontario is one of the first jurisdictions in the world to establish and enforce rules that strictly limit high-risk inducement advertising and marketing in the online gambling industry. Registered iGaming operators are prohibited from offering gambling inducements, bonuses and credits as part of their broad public advertising and marketing activities (Standard 2.05). These Standards exist to protect Ontarians from predatory advertising and promotional marketing practices in order to limit the risk of gambling-related harm.

A registered operator served with an OMP by the AGCO has the right to appeal the Registrar’s decision to the Licence Appeal Tribunal (LAT), which is an adjudicative tribunal independent of the AGCO and part of Tribunals Ontario.

QUOTE

“Responsible gambling safeguards and the protection of Ontarians on registered gaming sites is among our key priorities. The AGCO monitors the activities of all registered operators and their third-party suppliers to ensure they are meeting our high standards and we continue to take strong action to ensure they operate within the public interest.”

Dr. Karin Schnarr, Chief Executive Officer and Registrar – AGCO

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

BetMGM Canada Inc. failed to comply with the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming. Specifically, the licensee failed to comply with the following provisions of the Standards:

  • 1.19 Operators are responsible for the actions of third parties with whom they contract for the provision of any aspect of the Operator’s business related to gaming in Ontario and must require the third party to conduct themselves in so far as they carry out activities on behalf of the operator as if they were bound by the same laws, regulations, and standards.
  • 2.05 Advertising and marketing materials that communicate gambling inducements, bonuses and credits are prohibited, except on an operator’s gaming site and through direct advertising and marketing, after receiving active player consent.

Contrary to the Standards, BetMGM Canada Inc. and/or their affiliates allegedly engaged in the following activities:

a) On or about January 13 and 14, 2024, BetMGM representatives were alleged to have attended the National Franchise Show and were offering $100 in cash to new players for opening a new account and depositing $15.
b) On or about March 11, 2024, BetMGM acknowledged that its marketing affiliate “Above the Street” had engaged in prohibited inducement marketing. The conduct resulted in 377 player sign-ups and $127,180.00 in commissions to “Above the Street”.
c) On or about April 13, 2024, another BetMGM marketing affiliate “Maple Leaf Marketing” engaged in prohibited inducements and marketing to induce on-site activations and acquire new players. The conduct resulted in 94 player sign-ups and about $34,000.00 in commissions paid to “Maple Leaf Marketing”.

The post AGCO issues $110,000 in penalties to BetMGM Canada for offering cash to induce new gambling customers appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.

Continue Reading

BCLC

BCLC Launches “What’s played here stays here” Campaign

Published

on

bclc-launches-“what’s-played-here-stays-here”-campaign

 

BCLC’s new “What’s played here stays here” campaign is issuing an important reminder to British Columbians who choose to gamble – specifically that all net profit its operations generate stays in B.C. to help fund critical services like education, health care and community programs.

The campaign also reinforces that all other gambling websites operating in B.C. are illegal and take away funds from critical community programs and services.

“Across B.C. and Canada, we’ve seen incredible groundswell around the importance of buying and supporting local, and that’s no different for British Columbians who choose gambling for their entertainment. We want our B.C. players to know they can find a world-class gambling experience in their own backyard, whether it’s at one of our 33 casinos, 3,400 lottery retailers, or online at PlayNow.com, and that the proceeds from their play with BCLC make a positive impact at home in their community,” Pat Davis, President and CEO of BCLC, said.

Along with illegal online gambling websites, BCLC also competes with Washington State and Las Vegas casinos, all of which aggressively market to B.C. residents.

“BCLC continues to raise awareness that these gambling options do not support B.C.’s economy and take away funds from vital provincial and community-based programs and services. In a time when British Columbians are standing united, we want to reinforce that playing together with BCLC helps make B.C. even better,” Pat Davis added.

The post BCLC Launches “What’s played here stays here” Campaign appeared first on Gaming and Gambling Industry in the Americas.

Continue Reading

Trending