Connect with us
Prague Gaming & TECH Summit 2025 (25-26 March)
the-star:-queensland-operations-update-remediation-plan,-licence-suspension-and-special-manager the-star:-queensland-operations-update-remediation-plan,-licence-suspension-and-special-manager

Australia

The Star: Queensland Operations Update Remediation Plan, Licence Suspension and Special Manager

Published

on

Reading Time: 2 minutes

 

Further to the announcement of 9 December 2022 in relation to the disciplinary action and appointment of the Special Manager to monitor the operations of Treasury Brisbane and The Star Gold Coast, The Star Entertainment Group Limited (The Star) provided the following update.

Approval of Remediation Plan in Queensland

As previously disclosed, The Star submitted a draft Remediation Plan (Remediation Plan) to the relevant Queensland regulatory authorities, designed to address the issues identified by the Bell and Gotterson reviews. The Remediation Plan includes approximately 640 milestones across 15 workstreams to be implemented over a multi-year period.

The Star has been advised that the Attorney-General of Queensland, the Honourable Yvette D’Ath MP, has approved the Remediation Plan, as applying to the casino entities for The Star Gold Coast and Treasury Brisbane casinos.

Extension of Deferred Suspension of Casino Licences and Special Manager Appointment

Following this decision, The Star has also been advised that, on the recommendation of the Attorney-General, the Governor-in-Council has approved:

  • changing the date of effect of the 90-day casino licence suspensions for The Star Gold Coast and Treasury Brisbane casinos from 1 December 2023 (the originally determined date) to 31 May 2024; and
  • extending the term of the Special Manager for The Star Gold Coast and Treasury Brisbane casinos by 12 months to 8 December 2024.

Accordingly, The Star will be required, prior to 31 May 2024 when the deferred suspensions would otherwise take effect, to demonstrate to the Queensland Government, that it is delivering upon the approved Remediation Plan and returning to suitability.

The Star’s Group CEO and Managing Director, Robbie Cooke, said:

“We’re pleased to have our Remediation Plan approved in Queensland.

It’s an important step on our path to returning to suitability in Queensland and will track and hold us accountable throughout the multi-year program we are committed to delivering.

At the same time, we are fully aware that successful implementation of the Remediation Plan will require the utmost rigour and discipline.

We need to regain the trust and confidence of all our stakeholders and communities and continue to have an unwavering focus on transformation.

That comes from a clear understanding that holding casino licences is a privilege, not a right.”

These decisions relate only to The Star’s Queensland operations. The Star is continuing to engage with the New South Wales Independent Casino Commission in relation to its Sydney operations and will make a separate announcement in relation to the position in New South Wales.

Australia

Changes to Tipping Off Offence Came into Effect in Australia

Published

on

changes-to-tipping-off-offence-came-into-effect-in-australia
Reading Time: 2 minutes

 

Businesses and individuals bound by the tipping off offence must now consider whether a disclosure could be expected to prejudice an investigation, under changes to the AML/CTF laws that came into force on March 31.

The changes to the offence, which carries a maximum penalty of around $39,000 or up to 2 years in prison, are now focussed on the harms that could flow from a disclosure.

AUSTRAC CEO, Mr Brendan Thomas, said the change is part of AML/CTF reforms passed late last year to expand and simplify the legislation.

“The previous legislation was almost 20 years old and a lot has changed in that time,” Mr Thomas said.

“AUSTRAC is about to usher in 100,000 new businesses to the regime next year and they too will be subject to the tipping off offence.

“The change to the offence is about balancing intelligence gathering with practicality to ensure we can all get the best outcome – identifying criminal activity and driving money laundering out of legitimate businesses.

“We need businesses to work with us to detect illicit transactions – tipping off risks criminals getting a heads up. Criminals can then take action to hide or disguise their illegal activities. However, we know that effective information sharing within and between businesses helps stop money laundering.”

Businesses and individuals covered by the AML/CTF legislation, including banks, casinos, remitters and money lenders, are now prohibited from disclosing certain information to another person (other than AUSTRAC), only where it would or could reasonably be expected to prejudice an investigation.

“The move to a focus on harms strikes a better balance between protecting law enforcement investigations and allowing industry to collaborate in fighting money laundering, terrorism financing and other serious crimes.”

While the tipping off offence changes from March 31, most of the obligations under the amended AML/CTF Act will not come into effect until 2026, when entities in real estate, accounting, precious stones and metals and digital assets come under AUSTRAC’s remit.

The post Changes to Tipping Off Offence Came into Effect in Australia appeared first on European Gaming Industry News.

Continue Reading

Australia

Vanguard Overwatch Announces New Partnership Deal with McAtamney & Advisors

Published

on

vanguard-overwatch-announces-new-partnership-deal-with-mcatamney-&-advisors
Reading Time: < 1 minute

 

Vanguard Overwatch and McAtamney & Advisors have announced a strategic partnership that brings together leading expertise in anti-money laundering (AML), safer gambling and regulatory strategy to deliver tailored, end-to-end solutions for gambling operators and regulators navigating complex, high-stakes environments.

Vanguard Overwatch is a specialist advisory firm dedicated to advancing gambling-related public policy and regulatory excellence, strengthening industry capability and helping clients navigate complex regulatory environments.

This formal collaboration expands the reach of Vanguard Overwatch’s pioneering Accreditation Programme, which delivers independent assurance and practical insights to uplift capability, demonstrate leadership and mitigate compliance risks.

Built around eight foundational pillars, the programme provides a structured evaluation of governance, AML/CTF processes, safer gambling practices and organisational culture—equipping venues and online operators to meet evolving regulatory expectations with confidence.

Paul Newson, principal at Vanguard Overwatch, said: “This partnership significantly enhances our ability to support clients navigating regulatory complexity and scrutiny. Together, we’re delivering sharp, independent analysis and tailored strategic advice that helps operators meet their obligations, protect their reputation, and drive better social and economic outcomes.”

James McAtamney, managing director of McAtamney & Advisors, has been appointed a principal at Vanguard Overwatch as part of the partnership.

He said: “We’re proud to align with Vanguard Overwatch to support operators in building high-performing compliance systems and engaging confidently with regulators. Our combined capabilities create a powerful platform to support clients across strategy, licensing, AML/CTF, and safer gambling.”

Both firms are active contributors to sector reform and participate in key industry and policy forums, including Regulating the Game and the International Association of Gaming Regulators. The partnership will also support the development of new service offerings, including rapid AML and safer gambling health checks and bespoke regulatory support for operators under pressure.

The post Vanguard Overwatch Announces New Partnership Deal with McAtamney & Advisors appeared first on European Gaming Industry News.

Continue Reading

Australia

Gaming Compliance Checks Underway Across Regional NSW

Published

on

gaming-compliance-checks-underway-across-regional-nsw
Reading Time: < 1 minute

 

Liquor & Gaming NSW (L&GNSW) is conducting a compliance operation across regional NSW throughout March to ensure venues adhere to gaming regulations that promote responsible gambling and reduce harm.

Inspectors will visit clubs and hotels to ensure venues understand and comply with external gambling signage rules and recent changes to requirements for the location of ATMs and cash dispensing facilities.

They will also check that venues have appointed Responsible Gambling Officers, maintained Gambling Incident Registers and adhered to Gaming Plans of Management.

L&GNSW Acting Executive Director of Regulatory Operations Bernadette Beard said the operation is part of an ongoing effort to work with venues to ensure responsible gambling laws are upheld.

“Our compliance operation is well underway, with inspectors visiting venues across regional NSW to ensure they are aware of their obligations,” Ms Beard said.

“A key focus will be on the gaming reforms that took effect on January 1, 2025, which mandate that ATMs and other cash dispensing facilities must be positioned at least five metres from gaming room entrances or exits and kept out of sight from gaming areas and machines,” Jakob Rothwangl said.

Ms Beard said recent inspections in Sydney and other metropolitan areas have identified multiple venues not following the rules, leading to penalties where necessary.

“Since the new cash dispensing rules were introduced, L&GNSW has visited more than 900 clubs and hotels, issuing 53 cautions and three penalty infringement notices to 44 non-compliant venues, with several others under investigation,” Ms Beard said.

“We’re here to assist venues in meeting their responsibilities, but compliance is essential, and enforcement action will be taken where required.”

The post Gaming Compliance Checks Underway Across Regional NSW appeared first on European Gaming Industry News.

Continue Reading

Trending