Playmaker Capital Inc., the Toronto-based digital sports media company, reports its financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2021.
“We are very excited to share our second quarter results. Our teams are hitting on all cylinders. The organic growth of our Futbol Sites business has been exceptional and in July we added Yardbarker, a company that has experienced very strong year-over-year growth to date. Our pipeline remains robust and we have a strong balance sheet with currently over $13.0 million of cash and zero debt. We remain focused on profitable growth, both organic and through acquisition” said Jordan Gnat, Founder and CEO of Playmaker.
FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS (Figures in USD)
- Revenue – Revenue was $3.0 million in Q2 2021, compared to $nil in Q2 2020.
- Operating Income – Operating income was $0.4 million in Q2 2021, compared to operating loss of $0.1 million in Q2 2020.
- Pro Forma Revenue – Pro forma revenue was $4.2 million in Q2 2021, an increase of 244% from $1.2 million in Q2 2020. For the six months ended June 30, 2021, pro forma revenue increased by 152% to $7.6 million from $3.0 million in the same period of 2020.
- Pro Forma Adjusted EBITDA – Pro forma adjusted EBITDA was $1.6 million in Q2 2021, an increase from $8,410 in Q2 2020. For the six months ended June 30, 2021, pro forma adjusted EBITDA increased to $2.8 million from $0.3 million in the same period of 2020.
- Trailing 12-Month Metrics – For the 12 months ended June 30, 2021, pro forma revenue was $14.4 million and pro forma adjusted EBITDA was $6.0 million.
- Cash and Cash Equivalents – Cash and cash equivalents of $23.5 million at June 30, 2021 compared to $6.6 million at December 31, 2020.
- On April 1, 2021, the Company acquired Futbol Sites, a top digital sports media group in the U.S. and Latin America with a portfolio of more than 10 premium sites.
- On July 26, 2021, the Company acquired Yardbarker, a premier U.S. sports and entertainment media company, and the Morning Bark, Yardbarker’s daily email newsletter. As partial consideration in connection with this transaction, the sellers are eligible to receive an aggregate total of $4.0 million, based on Yardbarker’s performance toward an EBITDA target of $2.5 million in each of the two years following closing, as announced in a news release dated July 27, 2021.
- On a pro forma basis, Playmaker achieved record engagement metrics in the quarter across the Futbol Sites and Yardbarker owned and operated properties. Playmaker reaches more than 70 million unique users and in Q2 2021, the user base generated more than 454 million sessions, representing a 65% increase over Q2 2020. Playmaker also reaches more than 360,000 users daily via the Morning Bark.
- During Q2 2021, the Company completed an equity raise for gross proceeds of CAD $24.0 million and completed a reverse takeover of a capital pool company on the TSX Venture Exchange. The Company’s shares began trading on the TSX Venture Exchange on June 3, 2021.
- On June 11, 2021, Playmaker acquired Fanáticos Por Futebol, one of Brazil’s leading and most engaging soccer news communities.